Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Celebrate Death

Ever wonder why people celebrate more of Life than Death when the former gives you more anguish and distress than the latter? I'd suppose it's a terrifying thought knowing that Death is The Unknown. At least in Life, there'll always be tomorrow, tomorrow and tomorrow; so much still to do, so much more still to see. While Death is a Full Stop. No question asked.

I've always been curious about Death. I don't want to dance or flirt with it, but at the back of my mind I think, surely, there is something else besides a light at the end of the tunnel. Which is probably why I got involve in a death project.

A friend of mine, who I first met at a brief emcee gig and then later wrote about in a magazine, is a pyschologist. She was the one who pulled me in this very intriguing mission. The objective was to raise funds for a sweet graying couple who have the best intention in giving people a beautiful death. You see, death is an important journey in the Buddhist context. The more peaceful in your dying moments, the better your chances are with your raffle ticket to an enriching rebirth.

The elderly couple started out selling pre-plan funeral programmes. Pay a small fee in your livin' and kickin' days, and you get to choose the songs for your funeral, how you'd want the party to be, what kind of food to have. OK, maybe not so much the food. But you get the flow.

I may have been brainwashed but I feel there's really nothing to be afraid in your dying moments IF you have lived honestly, done good and loved happily. I really feel that the Dalai Lama is on to something.

So since I have planned my wedding, I'll like to envision my death.
I want pink gardenias and posies. I want jazz like Harry Connick Jr., Michael Buble, Ella Fitzgerald, Astrud, Joao and Bebel Gilberto and an occasional Fort Minor. But most of all, I want people to remember me for all the crazy, quirky, good things that I have lived for. If it's not too much trouble, even though I won't be able to read it, I'll like my family and friends to write me little notes on bio-degradable paper. And since I can pre-plan my funeral, I'll have someone to hand out personal handwritten letters to everyone I have loved, angered, saddened, disappointed, depressed about how sorry I am for not being a better daughter, sister, aunt, friend, cousin, wife, mother. Faults I'm sure to have many.

And if I never found the time to write the letters... I make sure my pre-plan will hire someone to write it for me.
So just in case I pull a fast one, to all my friends who are reading this, if I have angered, sorrowed, disappointed, saddened you in anyway, I ask you for your forgiveness. Know that you are much loved and will always be loved by this wreck, wicked monkey. Thank you for being with me in this Life. For me to have met you is a blessed fortune.

Please bring Tupperwares to the party. There'll be plenty of food.


Important note: There'll be no clowns.


Read Next: I've Learnt

5 comments:

Pinkity said...

Dearie, it's abit scary when you blog about things like that.

^-^

Chunky Munky said...

I don't think it's scary though. I think we should embrace it. In my opinion denial would hinder acceptance and hold the people that are left behind from living. I also don't want people to grieve my passing. Hopefully, they will celebrate my life.

Happee Monkee said...

celebrate my life.

exactly right you are munky.

Anonymous said...

everyone knows they will die one day, but noone wants to accept the fact..

"Learn how to die, and you learn how to live.'" -- Tuesdays with Morrie

the realisation will make u appreciate your life.. =)

Happee Monkee said...

I'm glad the book is doing you good Chics. It's a fantastic read.
You will only learn to live when you know the end. Because then the urgency to live life fullest will be even greater.

Cheers gal. Looking fwd to tonite. Like every other...