Sunday, August 27, 2006

Identity Crisis

When: This morning at 8.30a.m.
What: Waiting at Caulfield train station for pickup.
Feeling Rather: Groggy. Cold. Blur.

Car pulls over. Guy waves. I look at driver, thinks: "Hrm... looks like my ride. Different car though."

Guy waves again. Now look closely, thinks: "Yea, could be the guy."

Opens car door, "Hi, good morning."

'Friend' replies, "Morning. How are you?" and clears space for me to get in.

"I'm good." Has a closer look at him. "You look different. Did you do something different to your hair (or maybe face)?"

Guy looks back. "Yeaa... changed my glasses. Say is Mike coming?"

Pause. "Who's Mike?"

Two teen girls approaches. Look at me. The car. At each other.

"Er..."

Long pause. "Wait... are you Johnny?"

"Er... no."

(Thinks real fast: shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit...)
"Oops. Sorry. Wrong guy. Ha. Ha. Ha."
(... shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit)

Quickly exits.

Real friend turns up.

I swear. They had the same voice. Same accent. Same sort of face. Any guy looks identical with baseball cap and glasses.

12 comments:

gilliebean said...

OMG! you did NOT do that??!!

Happee Monkee said...

In my defense:
(i) I had only seen my pickup twice prior to this.
(ii) That imposter WAVED alot.
(iii) He showed NO sign of 'Who the hell are you?' when I opened the door.
(iv) All guys look identical with baseball caps and glasses.
(v)... especially if they are of the same race.

gilliebean said...

No excuse you give will stop us from telling everyone else about your 'interesting' encounter. Be prepared to sneeze a lot in the next few days.

Happee Monkee said...

Already sneezin...

Chunky Munky said...

I would put that down as another classic 'Mable Moment'.

Happee Monkee said...

No, must remember what your friends look like, more like it. :P

Anonymous said...

wooohooooooooo!! i'm back online! yeah baby! XD

woman!! u can't even remember how he looked like! n u called him ur friend? (O_o)! ur friend must be really disappointed XD

Nadhirah said...

The funny thing is, even the guy didn't realize that he didn't know mable. OMG I bet you turned bright red didn't you??

Happee Monkee said...

Kid, hrm, he's not exactly a long time friend. I just got to know him recently (hence the quote: " had only seen my pickup twice prior to this.") The ONLY time i do see him is on Sundays and most of the time its while he's facing the road.

OKOK besides that, I've got awful memory.

No, he wasn't disappointed. He was tickled by it the whole time. Why would he be anyway? it's like reading the sunday funnies only live. :P

Happee Monkee said...

I turned spastic. That's what I turned into Jo. And just another thing...

Congrats MOMMYY!!!!!

gilliebean said...

btw, just so you know. i've told this to gori, chics, yy, mart, ah liang, xion, tkc, uncle, jo-az, joey, kk, jen sen, panda.

and the only reason i told was becoz they asked, "so how is mable?" to which they later replied, "oh, mable's still mable."

Happee Monkee said...

Why look back and laugh 10 years from now when you can laugh now eh?

Jeez...